Wednesday, November 13, 2013

the secret

And then I realized that the secret to being a good writer, to forming believable characters whose emotions jump off the page, is to have felt all these things myself.  To have encountered both pain and happiness that is indescribable yet more real than anything and having the responsibility of allowing the characters to portray it.  That’s how we make books come alive.  That’s why we fall in love with stories and the people in them.  We feel their pain.  I should not wallow in my pain and sadness and instead I should record and embrace it.  Use it to color the pages of my future characters.  
That alone makes it easier to deal with. God is not allowing me to feel pain for no reason, he’s shaping me in more ways than I can imagine.  With that in mind, every experience becomes an opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment