Thursday, December 19, 2013

Another Week

A regular who stops by the office once a week maybe came in today.  I asked him, as I always do, “How are you?”  Usually I get the typical response, “Doing good, you?”  Except today he answered, “Just trying to get through another week.”  This caused me to think, but not too hard at first, what it means to get through a week.  What are we hoping to get to?  Is it merely to the weekend?  My day drifted on, quite nicely, and then while gazing through a website I stumbled on a video.   Its purpose was to introduce strangers and make them friends.  I watched and couldn’t help but be overtaken by its simplicity.  How often do I rush through a day, just to get it done, and miss an opportunity to connect with someone?  I keep to myself, only talking when it’s convenient or necessary.  I am quite suddenly convicted that this is the wrong way to “get through a week”.  I have the gift of a day with so many minutes to share a smile, a laugh, an encouraging word and relate to someone who might not be expecting anything worthwhile.  That’s how I should “get through” a day, by getting through to someone. 

After all, what are friends, but strangers who got too close?

No comments:

Post a Comment