Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Prompt: When I opened my mouth to sing

When I opened my mouth to sing she held up her pointer finger to hush me.
     "I always have the chorus."
     I held in a growl and sad down as Julia stood straighter, jutted out her chin and went on to belt out a tune that would make my deaf grandmother bolt out o her recliner, dropping the remote and shutting off Wheel of Fortune. I tried to imagine my grandmother's horse like voice to drown out Julia's sad attempt. After her part she sad softly in the mushroom chair and nodded graciously in my direction. With a heavy breath, I approached the center and allowed my vocal chords to bathe the room. I closed my eyes to concentrate, and to avoid Julia's critical gaze. When I finished I bowed slightly to the roaring audience and took a seat.
     "Olivia," came a voice from backstage. "It's time for bed, sweetie."
      I blinked. My stuffed animals fell silent. Julia, my doll, sat still, my mother's words bringing the room back into focus.
     "Okay, but one more song?" I asked. Mama smiled and shut the door, the lights dimming as I prepared for my encore.

No comments:

Post a Comment