Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Curiosity Part Twenty One

A moment later I was in my car driving away.  It was extremely difficult not to run the red light and then even more so not to floor it when the green appeared.  All this time I was working for some new evil and I had no clue.  Deep down it felt like a game I was playing and when it turned out to be real….
            What was I supposed to do now?  The jungles of Peru did sound awfully inviting but I knew I couldn’t go.  I didn’t make nearly enough money from this job to afford the plane ticket there and my mother might miss me.  I passed light after light and saw countless people on the streets and in their cars.  My home awaited me, but even its safety and warm bed was not enough to shake the uneasy feeling I had.  I knew.  I knew something that others didn’t and for some reason I walked away with it.  These people I passed were not fortunate enough to know that an evil was lurking among them waiting to rise.
            I could, as Kent hinted, live in ignorance claiming plausible deniability, but it wouldn’t be true.  When the next day came and I didn’t show up for work, they would know.  Would they search me out?  I felt very strongly that they would.  Was my security worth more that those of the hundreds of nameless people I passed every day?
            No.  I pulled into my driveway but continued to sit in my car.  Maybe I wasn’t strong, or special or even very bright, but I did have something others didn’t.  I had knowledge.  This was it.  I knew what I had to do.  I would stop these guys.  I didn’t know how I would do it or even if it was possible, but I couldn’t live with myself if I didn’t try. 
            I laughed out loud as my mind ran wild with pictures of superheroes and then ended with me.  Heroes are born of necessity and they all start somewhere.  Maybe now I could get my yellow coat.


            The End

No comments:

Post a Comment