Friday, June 27, 2014

Curiosity Part Twenty

The sun was fading and with it so was my sense of security.  This man was psychotic.  He really believed that he was doing good work.  I decided I would get as much information as I could before I left.  I would then change my name and move to the deepest darkest jungles in Peru.  The natives there would accept me and make me their own and I would never need to think about this crazy man and his ideas for world domination again.  All I needed to do was learn Spanish….
            “So, how did you come to work for the company?”  I asked casually. 
            “Same as you, I found it in a want ad.  They were looking for an idealistic individual interested in public relations for an up and coming organization.  I jumped on it and got the job.  Once they told me their mission statement I was all for it.”
            I worked with all my might to sound as interested as possible.  “How do you find funding?”
            At this he shrugged.  “It’s hard to find grants in favor of our revolutionary ideas, so we get them by whatever means necessary.”  He must have realized how that sounded because his eyes widened.  “I mean, we eventually convince those with the means to donate to our cause.”
            He must have meant to say they steal it.  “So, why the letter?”
            “Oh!”  he smiled now.  “That wasn’t my idea.  Nate wasn’t very pleased with your, he called it, ‘unconventional happiness’ and he wished to deter you.  I just thought it was funny.”  
            I didn’t.  My brain was telling me it was time to wrap things up, but I still had a couple more questions before I bid this man goodbye forever.
            “So, now that I’m in the circle, what kind of role will I play?”  Costumes design for your super villains?  I thought bitterly.
            “I’ll have to get back to you.”  He looked pleased.  He thought he had recruited another but he was wrong.
            “Okay, one more question,” I asked simply, taking a deep breath.
            “Shoot,” he said happily.
            “What do you call yourselves?”
            His smile turned and became something else that sent chills down my spine.
            “Now that would ruin the surprise, wouldn’t it?”

No comments:

Post a Comment