Friday, August 13, 2021

A Common Misconception

 

A common misconception

One I’ve quite often heard

That we are owed anything

A thought I find absurd

Of course, there is the paycheck

Exchange for our days sweat

As it’s out entitlement

With gratitude it’s met

But what we deserve in life

I feel is for debate

What one considers golden

Another reprobate

The standard we hold ourselves

Is subject to each eye

The true measure that we have

Set by Heaven, it’s high

Quite impossible to reach

Those who try can attest

Your most satisfied day’s work

No better than the rest

When our rewards don’t match up

To the prize we knew was ours

We rage and storm away

Cursing the days and hours

I suggest we stop right now

Look at what’s in our hands

Everything that’s ours in life

Is not ours, understand?

They are our gifts to care for

To cherish and help grow

However long it lasts us

However long we know

Do we deserve these blessings?

I’d wager we cannot

How much good could I have done

To earn the sleeping tot

Who rests deep within my arms

His sole reliance, me?

Was I order this joy in life?

And some would disagree

Our focus should be less on

What we might think is fair

Instead you will go further

Counting blessings everywhere

No comments:

Post a Comment