Monday, October 21, 2013

Halloween 2012

I’ve had cause to wonder this year why it is that Halloween means so much to me.  After being asked many times, I decided that I needed an answer.  I never had given the reason behind it much thought.  Things that happen gradually tend to leave a strong mark but a silent trail that is difficult to back track.  This morning I woke up with the tracks fresh in my mind. 
            I suppose it would have to begin when I was too young to even dress myself.  My parents, who were always taking pictures, have efficiently recorded every Halloween costume through film.  Vivid memories still visit me of trick or treating in my grandparent’s neighborhood dressed as a Disney princess or even a Ninja Turtle.  One house will always stand out due to the fact that it served king sized candy bars on a silver platter.  That was every kid’s dream.  One year my mom made mine and my sister’s costumes.  She was Catwoman and I, Batgirl.  They were simple, but we wore them with pride because our mom took time to create them for us.  Probably the most memorable Halloween of my childhood was the one where my little brother was due to be born.  My mom, on her fourth child, was more than ready for him to come.  That night we walked an uncharacteristically long time trying to encourage Ethan grace us with his presence.  My mom wanted him to be born on Halloween so she could call him her little goblin.  Sadly, he chose to come two days later instead.
            Many Halloweens involved our close friends, the Wardens.  I remember when I was twelve years old I began to feel like I was out growing Halloween.  Maybe it was just a day for little kids.  I emailed my Aunt Shelley, sharing my worries with her.  Her reply was one that etched its way into my brain.  She told me a story of how on Halloween, when she was twenty, she invited some of her closest friends over for dinner.  At each place mat on the table there was a spooky mask and a bag for candy.  They ate dinner and then went out trick or treating.  She said it was a wonderful night filled with good fun that she would never forget.  She said they didn’t feel silly, and actually the people passing out candy thought it was great.  Her words to me were that I would only be too old for Halloween when I decided I was.  I didn’t have to let it be just for little kids, I could enjoy it as an adult too.  Those words meant a lot.  Coincidently, the last time I went trick or treating was just before my twentieth birthday.  I went with my siblings and a close friend.  We all dressed up and had a great time.  It was a memorable night.
            There are other factors, too, that contribute to this attraction for Halloween.  My youth group growing up had its part.  Our youth minister, Mark, recognized the holiday as day for grown-ups to have fun as well.  He shared the spirit of Halloween throughout the year with his famous “Stupid Scary Movie Nights”.  The youth group would gather at his house, after earning entrance inside by performing silly acts, and watch a black and white classic scary movie.  The Ghost and Mr. Chicken being a favorite.  This was yet another point where I realized that adults can enjoy Halloween as well. 
            The TV show Home Improvement also left its mark.  Every season would have a Halloween episode where the family would throw a party and even play pranks on each other.  My family loved this show and always looked forward to those episodes.  This was probably a strong inspiration for the first Halloween party my family threw back in 2008.  Money was tight and we couldn’t go Halloween Horror Nights like we had for the past few years.  It was actually my parents’ idea for us to throw a party.  My siblings and I had meetings in the summer to plan.  Our collective excitement bubbled over and into our friends who came and helped by bringing food.  It was such a success that we had two more the consecutive years, each year growing by 20 attendees.  Our excitement for Halloween was rising and spreading and inspiring others to see that it was not just a holiday for children, but for anyone who wasn’t too grown up to have fun. 
            So if someone were to ask me again why I enjoy Halloween as much as I do, I would have to attribute it to several unique people, special memories, and solid encouragement.  An idea is a powerful seed and when watered often can grow and spread.  There are many things that inspire us and fasten into our lives to help shape us.  I wouldn’t say that Halloween is necessarily what shaped me, but the idea that good fun is not exclusive to children but universal for everyone.  To this day, seeing my parents dress up in costumes, decorate the yard and display pure giddiness about bringing wonder to kids’ faces, that’s what makes me smile. 

            You decide when you’re too old for Halloween.  As for me, I don’t plan on ever getting old.  

No comments:

Post a Comment