Thursday, October 10, 2013

Unseen Disaster

I wrote this awhile back and never finished.  One day it will be an awesome story!

I thought that when the alarm went off that morning it was merely the start of a new day.  I would wake up to the sound of the morning radio show chatter and dress quickly to the incoherent ramblings of a rap song.  My breakfast would be next, the usual bowl of Rice Crispies which would have to be in my least favorite color dish due to the fact that I had never gotten around to pushing the button on the dishwasher.  The brushing of teeth and applying of makeup would follow immediately.   All this would ultimately end with my arrival in my beetle which would eventually, with several pep talks and often a good beg, take me to work.
            It seemed, though, that this day was different from the very moment I opened my eyes.
            I awoke at the usual time to the same voices I heard every morning.  It took only a few seconds for my mind to register the panic.  Only a second more for me to hear what they said.
            “…was reported east of downtown at 7:15 this morning.  Another sighted only a half hour later.  We don’t have any city officials’ statements just yet, but we hope to-” and the radio went dead.
            Slightly dazed, I reached over and pushed the power button on the remote.  Nothing happened.  I crawled out of bed and, holding my breath, tapped the ON button for the TV.  Silence.  Looking around, I realized the ceiling fan was slowing to a stop.  I stumbled to the window and pulled the curtains.  It was dark outside.  It should have been sunny.  I could not see any streetlights or porch lights.  After closing the blinds rather abruptly, I felt my way through the house, and with a sense of urgency, searched for my phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment