Monday, June 23, 2014

Curiosity Part Nineteen

 “I was afraid you would ask that.”  He looked up into the cloudless sky.  “But, I did arrange this little meeting so I guess it’s time I give you something, whether it’s to your liking or not.”
            My good common sense was telling me to high tail it to my car, but as always, my curiosity won.  I sat there, quietly, tempting fate.
            “We equip the select and reinforce their endeavors to establish a new order by which we can benefit.”  His words sounded rehearsed and he looked very pleased after saying them.  I, on the other hand, was not.
            “In English, perhaps?”  I prodded, still not sure where this was going.
            His smile faded a tad but he went on to say, “Each of our clients has a unique vision but all with a common goal.  We support that goal whole heartily.  Unfortunately, not all of them know how to make their visions come alive.  That’s where we come in.”  As his enthusiasm grew so did my understanding.
            “And what’s the goal?”  I managed.
            “Complete and total freedom for those who are able enough to obtain it.”
            “And for those who aren’t?”
            “They will be dealt with.” 
Dealt with?  My insides were crawling.  I was reminded strongly of some evil character in a movie.  Kent was smiling now but he wasn’t looking at me.  His attention was now on the people walking by.
            “So, Kent,” I said as normally as possible.  “Why did you decide to tell me all of this?”
            His eyes shot to me.  “Like I said, I like you.  All the others were boring and plain.  You’re different.  When things finally kick into motion I want you to be right there with us, embarking on a new world, free of the morons who bogged us all down.”
            I cleared my throat.  “What about those who try to resist?”
            “If they know what’s good for them, they won’t.  And if they don’t know what’s good for them then they shouldn’t be around anyway.”
            I laughed nervously, “Sounds like some kind of super villain alliance or something.”
            He wasn’t laughing but instead looked more thoughtful. “I prefer visionary.  The term ‘villain’ is offensive in my opinion.”

No comments:

Post a Comment