Thursday, June 5, 2014

Curiosity Part Seventeen

“Shannon, glad you could make it.”  His voice was cool and so devoid of any hint of malice that I literally laughed out loud from nervousness. 
            He smiled.  “I bet you have a lot of questions.”  He motioned to a little bench a few yards from us and we both sat down.  I made sure to keep a good couple of feet away from him on the bench despite his easy going disposition.
            His smile faded slightly but it remained present on his face and I couldn’t manage to speak.  Here it was, the moment I’d been waiting for and I couldn’t say anything.  He waited patiently and then I exploded.
            “What makes you different?  Why does everyone there hate me?  What’s the deal with the note, the camera, the mic, the secrecy, the game that you all play?  What’s the point?”  My voice was a little higher and less controlled than I would have liked it to be and when I finished his smiled had gone.
            “Yes,” he said.  “That is a lot.”
            I stared at him.  His smart grey suit and slick dark hair helped paint the picture that he had information and his kind face made me feel that whatever he said would be the truth.  I waited for the answers he had promised. 
            He sighed and stared hard at me, then leaned back on the bench.  This sudden change in behavior caused what little sense of calm I had to dart off like a runaway cat.
            “What’s wrong?”  I asked sharply.
            He turned in his seat and almost seemed to deflate.
            His next words might have been, “The world is ending and our building is a rocket ship heading to Mars to save the human race,” for all sense it made to me.
            Instead he uttered plainly, “Listen, I like you, but you’re probably not going to like what I’m about to tell you.”
            I was floored and he still hadn’t even told me anything-yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment