Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Curiosity Part Fifteen

At first I just looked at him as he worked to collect his papers.  It was when he smiled at me that my mind seemed to work again.
            “Here, I’ll help you,” I said, kneeling on the floor beside him.  Some papers had flown behind my chair so I handed those to him as he stacked the others in his case.
            “Thanks,” he said when everything had been restored.  He then reached out his hand to shake mine.  I gaped at the outstretched hand for a moment.  Was I in the same office?  My eyes met his and he nodded.  Very slowly I put my hand in his and he shook it.  “Kent.”
            “Excuse me?”  I coughed.  He released my hand and we both stood up.
            He smiled again, punched the key code and disappeared through the door.
            It was a moment before I realized he had left a card in my hand.  Remembering the camera and microphone, I sat back down.  I placed my hand in my lap, under the desk and ever so discretely, looked down to read the little message.
            “5:15pm, corner of Carlson and Fort.  Come alone.”
            Just like the letter, it was typed.  Was the note from this man as well?  I took a deep breath and slid the card into my purse beneath the desk.  I opened up a magazine and pretended to read as the rest of the staff bustled through the doors.
            Kent, I thought, seemed like a nice enough guy.  Maybe he wouldn’t be the psycho killer type.  The hours sped by that day and only slowed down when Bert came with the mail a little later than usual at 3:45.  I tried to avoid eye contact because I knew just by looking at him I would give away my thoughts but when he asked me how I was doing, I gave in.
            “Just fine….”
            He squinted at me.  “What happened?”
            I remembered the eyes and ears.  “Just tired is all,” I lied and gave my best fake smile.
            He huffed in disbelief but left anyway.
            When five o’clock came everyone left promptly and disappeared out the front door.  Everyone, that is, but Kent.

No comments:

Post a Comment