Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Curiosity Part Fourteen

            The next morning I was determined once more.  The drive to work was littered with random pep talks I would say out loud to myself.
            “This is real life,” I said matter-of-factly.  “No crazy ninja is going to fall out of the ceiling and attack me.”
            I slowed down for a traffic light.  “Bert must be pulling my leg.  Why would they even need an outside receptionist if their work was so dangerous?  What’s the point?”
            I kept verbally encouraging myself all the way up to when I pulled into the parking lot.  I clapped my hands together.  “Here we go!”  Just before I opened my car door, however despite my enthusiasm, I leaned over and grabbed the pepper spray out of the glove compartment.  Slipping it into my purse, I set out for the building.  Better safe than sorry.
            I kept my gait smooth and even managed a small smile as I unlocked the door and stepped inside.  I walked around to my desk and sat down, at first not realizing the surprise waiting for me.  I shoved my purse under the table, eyeing the cable that remained to hear my every word.  And there, sitting on the desk before me was a single piece of caramel candy.  My heart stopped.
            It’s just candy, I thought.  It’s not an oompa loompa.
            But when the front door swung open I jumped as if I’d been burned.  The lady before me stopped in mid-step, eyes narrowed on me.
            “S-sorry,” I stammered, wiping the candy aside.  “Violent hiccups.”
            She continued walking, without a sound, toward the back door.   I rested my elbows on the desk and laid my head in my hands.  Maybe it wasn’t such a good idea for me to have come back.
            The next time the door swung open I didn’t even raise my head.  Why bother?
             Another noise made me flinch again except this time it happened right beside me.  I looked up to my left and saw the sharp dressed man from before.  He had dropped his briefcase and the contents had spilled out.  

No comments:

Post a Comment