Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Curiosity Part Thirteen

I spent a lot of time thinking on my drive home and even more time after I collapsed on the couch in my dark living room.  At this point I had to decide whether the danger lied in staying or leaving.  If I left, would that give “them” the idea that I knew something?  All I did know at this point was that something was wrong, but in all honesty I knew absolutely nothing.  I hadn’t discovered anything.  A shiver went up my spine as I thought back to me wanting to open up their mail.  I was very thankful I only opened the one and that it had nothing revealing inside.  It was almost enough for me to start liking caramel.
            My mind kept running countless scenarios involving my staying there.  One starred boomerang flailing ninjas busting out of the back door of the office and chasing me down the street.  Another had Mr. Slugworth, the scheming chocolate maker who played the rival to the great Willy Wonka.  Mr. Slugworth accused me of stealing his secret candy recipe and selling it on Ebay.  The evil oompa loompas were dragging me away when I woke up, still sprawled out on the couch.
            In the end I decided to flip a coin.  Heads I stay, tails I go.  The coin twirled in the air and landed in my palm.  I flipped it over onto the back of my other hand.  For a moment my future hung in the balance and then I lifted my hand; Heads.  Looking at the coin I felt a sense of resolution flow through me.  It was just a job and I hadn’t done anything wrong.  I was going to go back to work and face whatever was challenging me.  No faceless evil was going to scare Shannon Rollings.  I was going to walk right back into that office and if they wanted me out they were going to have to force me out.  What could they do to me, really?

No comments:

Post a Comment