Thursday, March 20, 2014

A Different View

As a human being, my eye sight can only be so good.  It’s scientifically proven.  My vision may worsen but it can never be improved past a certain point.  And seeing how I can only see so far I typically become familiar with my immediate surroundings as I burrow myself into what is comfortable. 
In the process I may forget what I was able to see before.
I know there is more out there but my senses are instantly gratified with what is close enough to touch and feel.  And, I argue, just because there is more out there to see, doesn’t mean it’s necessarily better than what I have allowed myself to be engulfed in. 
This level of comfort can be dangerous.
Oh! you declare, How is it possible that comfort, which is by definition safe, could be detrimental?
It is harmful in what it keeps you from.
Growth.
An unborn child is warm and safe but without change it cannot accomplish what it was created for.
In my cozy norm I tend to forget quite how I got to be there.  Something had to change, I had to move (or be moved).  I had to readjust.
And after I’m finished squirming, shaking fists at the air for what was stolen from me, I blink and realize that I had not seen this from where I was standing only moments before.
I couldn’t imagine it.
It’s different but not bad.  It’s challenging and not easy.  It provides new perspective and strengthens my spine to be standing in a new place, on new ground.  My eyes refocus to the new surroundings.
But before long, I’m back to where I was, burrowed and warm, cozy and content.  I’ve forgotten not where I was before but how I came to be here.
Upon arrival on this earth I was not promised a comfortable existence.
I am, however, guaranteed a constant change.
Without change I’d be
dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment