Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Curiosity Killed the Receptionist PT 1

The first few months of my job as a receptionist were nothing like I imagined.  My mind was left to wander and in its wake it left me this story.  I posted each part on Facebook four years ago to an eager audience and got my first glimpse at what it felt to have others (outside of family) enjoying my work. 

Please forgive the typos and possible plot errors.  That is the downside of posting each part as its written.  It leaves little room for correction.  I do still hope to compile this all into a book one day, add on and even write part two eventually.  The comments on my last post demanded it.    :)

Hope you enjoy!

Everyday I sat.  Everyday I watched.  And everyday I had no idea what was going on.  The mail man came and went.  The Fed-Ex man too.  They all seemed normal, but… something still wasn’t quite right. 
            My job was simply to receive shipments.  I accomplished this through merely sitting behind a desk for hours out of the day.  Anyone only slightly less observant than me wouldn’t have found it anything less than completely normal.  For me and my sharp eyes though, I caught on only a few hours into my first day.

            An average day went something like this.  I used my key to unlock the doors at ten in the morning, never a moment past.   I would take a seat behind the desk and wait.  One by one, people came in, passing me on their way inside and through the door behind me, which required a code for entry.  A few sometimes smiled but most just walked on past.  At first I took it personally, their ignoring me.  Then I realized it must be because they had a lot on their mind going into work.  As the day went on, though, I couldn’t for the life of me think of what their work really was.  

No comments:

Post a Comment