Thursday, March 27, 2014

Curiosity Part Five

It was Friday, my last chance of the week.  If I didn’t get something I would have to wait two whole days for another try.  I wasn’t sure I could do it.  I was determined to make the day count.
            A quarter after ten I was sitting behind the desk.  I had a plan.  The first person strolled through the front door and I perked up.
            “Good morning!”  I smiled broadly at the short middle aged man.  He carried a sleek brown briefcase and wore a dark grey suit.  He never blinked and before I could say “Have a nice day!” he had already gone through the mysterious door behind me.
            Take two.
            A moment later, a lady in a lavender suede skirt suit opened the door.  I smiled again and said,
“How are you today?”  Her green eyes flashed to me but the time it took her to decide whether she should respond was too long.  Her legs had carried her through the door as well.
            This was all too familiar for me to be discouraged.  I needed to shake up my tactics.
            This time I saw an older gentlemen walking up to the door.  I rushed around the desk and swung the door open for him.  His eyes shot wide and he stopped dead for a moment.  You would almost think human contact was a new thing for these people.  It only took a second for his feet to work again and he was gone, the back door swinging silently behind him.  I was still standing with the door open when I heard a deep voice behind me. 
            “Is that in your job description?”

No comments:

Post a Comment