Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Curiosity Part Three

They had to know I was curious!  No one could stay even a fraction of the time I had and not have their curiosity peaked!  At times it was maddening.  One morning I took a chance and called the mail man back just before he walked out the front door.
            “Bert,” I said.  I knew his name at least.  “How long have you been on this route?”
            He paused, his hand on the door, and squinted his eyes thoughtfully.  “About ten years.”
            I looked around and then whispered, “Do you know what they do here?”
            His hand dropped from the door and he took a few slow steps towards me.  He leaned over the desk and I leaned in towards him.  He cleared his throat.  “No.”
            My shoulders dropped.  “Really?  Not a clue?”  I said quietly, disappointment dripping from my voice.
            He cocked his head.  “I do know that they are really good at keeping quiet.”  He turned and started towards the door.  Just before he walked out he said to me, “I wouldn’t dig too deep there, Shannon.  They’ve never kept a receptionist very long and I have an inkling it’s because her curiosity got the best of her.  Just be happy you have a job.”
            And then he was gone, until the next day that is.  He gave a questioning look before leaving but I said nothing other than hello and goodbye.  I didn’t want him to know that it was too late.  I had become a slave to my curiosity and it was going to eat me alive until I learned something, anything, about where I worked. 

No comments:

Post a Comment