Monday, April 7, 2014

Curiosity Part Eight

Monday came and I decided against the yellow coat.  One, it would look ridiculous with the weather being so warm outside.  And two, I couldn’t find one anywhere.
            I spent the entire ride to work racking my brain for something clever to say that would solicit a decent response.  I remained in my seat but was determined to get more than just a hello out of the man from Friday.  When the time came I almost forgot to speak.  I hadn’t noticed before how young the man was or how well dressed for that matter.
            The door swung open and he stepped in flashing me a brilliant smile.  The words caught in my throat and he was already halfway to the secret door before they jumped out of my mouth.
            “Nice weather today, wouldn’t you say?”  That was not what I had planned.
            The man actually stopped, his smile gone.  His hand was raised to the key pad for the door when he looked at me.  My heartbeat faltered and I tried desperately to look casual. 
            “Actually,” he began, but before another word could come out, the front door opened.  An older man than he came in carrying a big black briefcase.  The younger man stiffened and hurried with the key pad to get through the door.  The older man gave a disgruntled snort and glared at the man as he disappeared.  I tried to smile at the older man but my face seemed frozen.  He looked past me as if I weren’t there right up until he pulled the door open to go through.  At that moment his eyes shot at me like arrows and remembering I’d forgot to breathe I suddenly gasped.  I wanted to die.  The man was gone and with him he took my confidence.  What was that about?  Was he upset at the younger man for speaking?  Was there a rule against stopping in the lobby on your way in?  Was it me?  Did he know something or suspect I was suspicious?  

No comments:

Post a Comment