Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Curiosity Part Eleven

It wasn’t very long.  I even flipped the paper over to see if there was more but the typed words were confined to the middle of the front page.  This is what it said:
“The walls have eyes.  Keep your nose out of the fire and it won’t get burned.  This is your only warning.  Asking questions is not wise.”
At this point I had to wonder whether the paycheck was worth it.  The letter was very threatening and reminded me strongly of a mafia movie.  What was the big deal?  Part of me was less afraid and more upset that the letter wasn’t more revealing.  The only thing it confirmed was that I was, indeed, dealing with something sinister here.  As scary as that thought could be, I was now more intrigued than ever.  My eyes fell on the first few words on the paper: “The walls have eyes.”  It sounded like an awful horror movie, but even terrible horror movies are detrimental to the people inside the story as cheesy as they may be to audience.
            I began to search every square inch of the walls.  I stayed in my seat so as not to cause suspicion for whoever was watching.  To be even more cautious, I would only look for a few minutes before I would break to look at the magazine on the desk.  Surely, if I was being watched, it wasn’t nonstop.
            After half an hour of Dick Tracy worthy sleuthing, I managed to find a discrepancy in the room.  Just above the front door I discovered a crack in the paint.  It was very subtle but after staring at it for several seconds it became painfully obvious.  For such a pristine lobby any kind of oddity would have been more than out of place.  The only trick now was figuring out what to do about it.  It was when a tiny flash of light came from the crack in the wall that the situation took on a new meaning to me. 
This was serious.    

No comments:

Post a Comment