Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Curiosity Part Ten

At first I thought it was the mail man coming late, but it wasn’t.
            “Ms. Rollings?”
            My head shot up to find a lady who looked not much older than me, with an envelope in her hand.  She looked at me inquisitively and I nodded.
            “That’s me,” I squeaked.  It had been awhile since I’d spoken.
            She approached the desk and handed me the envelope.  I took it with an almost shaking hand.  I had never received mail here and couldn’t honestly remember telling anyone the address.  The lady paused.   It seemed she was waiting for me to open it.  It had, go figure, no return address and, interestingly enough, just my name in typed letters.
            “Which courier do you work for?”  I asked, observing her plain collared shirt.
            The lady smiled.  “A small one,” she answered curtly and turned to leave.
            At that point I was mad.  I was tired of unanswered questions and being ignored.
            “Excuse me!”  I said loudly, a shortness in my voice that could no longer be masked.  “Can you answer my question like an adult, please?”
            The lady turned to face me, her short blond hair like stone in the wind.  For a split second I wondered how much hair spray she used but was cut short by her answer, her real answer.
            Her tone crawled up my skin and made me wish I had kept silent.  “Why don’t you open that envelope and read your letter, Ms. Rollings.  I daresay you’ll find it more helpful than me.”
            It was only after the door swung shut behind her that I was able to breathe again.  My eyes floated down to my hands still clutching the mysterious paper.  I couldn’t bring myself to open it.  Ignorance, I was learning, was not only bliss but turning out to be a safer way of life.  What was crazier was that I still didn’t know anything.  Could someone be in danger for their mere endeavors even through lack of accomplishment?  I hadn’t done anything…really.  Maybe the letter wasn’t a threat.  Maybe that lady was just naturally rude.  I took a deep breath and slit open the envelope.

No comments:

Post a Comment