Thursday, April 3, 2014

Curiosity Part Seven

It took an enormous amount of self control not to tear into every package that decorated the counter that afternoon.  Maybe there was a way I could learn more without committing a felony.  Or at least, I thought, I can save that for a last resort.  My cunning nature had to be worth something in this situation.  Most of my friends were unsympathetic, especially the ones without jobs.  One friend actually encouraged me to get fired so she could have my job.  I decided, a little stung, not to share my thoughts with her anymore.
            My brother, who was married with a baby on the way, had some decent advice.
            “Go Dick Tracy.”
            “What?”  I said, nearly dropping the phone.
            He was already deep in explanation when I steadied the phone against my ear. 
            “…was only one of the greatest detectives ever!”
            I had no idea who he was talking about.  I told him that.
            He sighed very loudly.  “Have I taught you nothing?”
            “Apparently not enough,” I said.
            He spent the next ten minutes filling me in on how amazing Dick Tracy was and giving me the ins and outs of how to be a great detective.
            “Tact is everything.  Don’t let them know you’re interested or they will be on the defensive.”
            I took mental notes and grew more intrigued with every detail he gave.  I could be sneaky.  I could be sly.  I could be analytical.
            “Are you getting this, Shannon?”
            “Sure thing,” I said quietly, imagining myself in a yellow coat like Dick Tracy’s.
            “Don’t forget to be inconspicuous!” my brother said before we hung up.
            The question now was if I could be inconspicuous while wearing a big yellow coat or if that would blow my cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment